Who are we?
The Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) is a living history organization dedicated to the re-creation of the culture of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Members of the SCA work to create a “current Middle Ages” by researching and re-creating the dress, weaponry, armor, jewelry, food, and life styles of the period. The Barony of Jararvellir is the local group of the SCA based in Madison, Wisconsin. We are a part of the region known in the SCA as the Kingdom of Northshield.
The Barony hosts armoured combat, rapier combat, archery, and thrown weapons, as well as guilds devoted to needle arts, calligraphy and illumination, armour making, dance, fletching, both vocal and instrumental music, brewing and vintning, and many other things. SCA membership is not required to participate in many of these activities. All that’s necessary is your interest.
- If you are interested in doing illustration and/or calligraphy for baronial scrolls, we need some! Please contact Clydwyn at email@example.com
Practices are at the following locations (Updated 8/13/2023):
Archery, Thrown Weapons, Fencing, and Armored Combat:
UW Stock Pavilion, Madison
1675 Linden Dr, Madison, WI 53706
Sunday: 12:00 – 4:00 pm (except 12/3/2023)
Tuesdays from 9/5 – 11/28. Wednesday practice will resume starting 12/6/2023.
– No food or drink in the building. You can keep it outside & wash your hands before you go get it.
– Wash your hands before you leave the building.
– Sign the Stock Pavilion waiver once each calendar year. Waivers will be available at the door.
– Sign the activity participation (SCA) waiver *every practice*.
– Parking is limited. You may *not* park in anything that is not a labeled stall. You may park in the lot next door (by the horse barn) if it is outside of parking enforcement hours.
– Enter through the back door, by the parking lot. Pay attention to signage – if archery is in progress, you don’t want to enter through a downrange door!
– Archery / Thrown Weapons starts at 12pm and 6pm, respectively.
– Thrown Weapons occurs on some of the Sundays, not all of them. Please see the Facebook group and/or e-mail list for announcements on which days we will be throwing.
– Fencing / Armored Combat start at 1pm and 7pm, respectively.
All practices require following local and SCA laws regarding Covid-19 precautions.
Masks are required for all activities for those who are not fully vaccinated (vaccination + 2 weeks) over the age of 5. Anyone who is fully vaccinated and still wishes to wear a mask is encouraged to do so. Masks are not required for indoor or outdoor activities for people who are fully vaccinated after April 1.
Read the full announcement here: http://northshield.org/Posts/Display.aspx?ID=63984
Upcoming Local Events
- September 22-24, 2023: Haustblot – A Norse Harvest Festival (Caer Anterth Mawr)
- September 23, 2023: Harvest Festival (Rockhaven)
- September 30, 2023: Sharp Pointy Things (Nordskogen)
- September 30, 2023: Missle Mayhem III (Windhaven)
- October 14, 2023: Northshield Fall Crown Tournament (Border Downs)
- October 21, 2023: Tournament of Chivalry (Jararvellir)
- October 28, 2023: Needle and Threat (Rokeclif)
- November 11, 2023: Stellar University of Northshield (Nordskogen)
- December 2, 2023: Danze del Verro (Dance of the Boar) (Caer Anterth Mawr)
- January 13-14, 2024: Twelfth Night and Nordskogen 50th Anniversary (Nordskogen)
- January 27, 2024: Wacky Garb Ball: Supernatural (Jararvellir)
Click here for the full Northshield calendar of events!